For some strange reason the first Sharknado somehow captured the public zeitgeist and became the most talked about SyFy movie to date so it is a surprise to no one that we got a sequel and no surprise it is just as bad and just as entertaining as the last one.
April (Tara Reid) and Fin (Ian Ziering) are returning to his hometown of New York City to visit relatives and attend April’s book signing as she has written “How to Survive a Sharknado” While on board the plane Fin starts seeing sharks flying through the clouds, his reaction is much in keeping with William Shatner’s performance in “Night at 20,000 Feet.” So hats off to SyFy for starting off with a nice Twilight Zone reference, and also for casting Airplane star Robert Hays as the pilot.
Fin has to try and land the plane (apparently surfers/bar owners can fly 747s) while April must battle sharks that keep flying into the plane. The air marshal tosses her a gun but a nasty shark bites her gun hand clean off. This is a great way to start a sequel about Sharknados.
• Fin meets up with ex-girlfriend Skye (Vivica A. Fox) who wants to re-kindle their romance
• Sewer workers are attacked by an alligator which in turn is eaten by a shark.
• Sharks tend to rip people’s faces off.
• The Today Show is quick in coming up with Sharknado graphics.
• Subway train is chased by a tidal surge full of sharks.
• The storm rips the head off the Statue of Liberty and chucks at a Wall Street banker and then proceeds to chase our heroes down the street ala the boulder in Raiders.
• Unable to find chainsaws they settle for using a broadsword to slice sharks in half.
• His family outfit themselves with Flame throwing Super Soakers.
• Fin and Skye toss propane bombs at Sharknado but all this does is goes flaming sharks to fall from the skies and attack.
• Our heroes are chased up a high-rise by rising waters and back down by flaming sharks.
• Fin figures out the only way to stop this F5 Sharknado is to blow the Freon tanks at the top of the Empire State Building.
• Fin and Skye have to become human lightning rods to blow the tanks.
• Because Skye is a rival to April and guilty of being black in a monster movie she is blown up and eaten.
• Fin also blown sky high but manages to ride a shark back down to the observation platform.
• New Yorkers take to the streets with any weapon they can find to kill the falling sharks.
• A final shark is about to kill Fin and April but Fin reaches into a nearby dead shark and retrieves April’s severed hand that is still clutching the Air Marshals gun.
• Fin shoots the shark then takes April’s wedding ring off the severed hand and proposes to her.
Sharknado 2: The Second One is still guilty of having horrible acting, terrible continuity and some of the worst special effects ever put to film, but that has almost become a trademark of these types of film and part of their charm. Next up: Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No!